In many ways, our students' lives and worlds have become very small and sometimes limited. I am often surprised by how few students visit museums, parks, libraries and historical landmarks. They experience so much of their lives remotely in virtual worlds. While, as teachers, we try to expand their experiences, we cannot replace all of those learning opportuntities. Technology does, however, provide with a window to these other worlds. If I cannot bringmy class to every museum, I can try to bring the museum to them. In this way, technology helps me, and the world, meet my students where they are.
Technology also can provide opportunities for our students with learning difficulties or disabilities. Assistive devices move their school experiences from frustrative to successful, expanding the depth of their experience. Additionally, software and internet applications bring the world to their doorstop.
Finally technology helps teachers connect with their students. Technology is their world. They navigate and explore technology without thinking twice about it. We need to learn their language if we are to understand them, reach them and prepare them for tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment